1.27.2013

Into Action Intro

How many of you live off Pinterest?  And you have tons of boards don't you?  Home stuff, craft ideas, workouts, recipes?  I've decided that I'm going to try to put one of my Pinterest finds into action, at least once a week!  Then I'll do a "review" of sorts.  I'm sick of all of these ideas floating around without trying them out!  Join me if you'd like, and leave a link to your post in the comments section.  If I get enough comments, I'll start to add a Mr. Linky at the bottom of my page!

This week I made a recipe I found on Pinterest called Skinny Chocolate Chip Buttermilk Scones.  I've never made scones before so it was a bit of an experiment.  It came from the blog Skinnytaste which is one of my favorite food blogs!  Lots of great recipes, on the light side.

Photo credit left goes to Gina @ Skinnytaste.com. Right is my own photo.


I was in the mood for baking something, but I didn't want the high calorie count of a cookie.  I figured I try out these scones since they look so good!  Almost every ingredient is something I have on hand, minus the buttermilk.  Also, she calls for 1 cup of white whole wheat flour.  Something I don't think my commissary even carries, but I wasn't buying it just for one recipe.  They tasted good!  But in all fairness, they have chocolate chips so as long as you don't do anything drastically wrong, they are going to.

I personally didn't think they were amazing though.  This could be my lack of experience actually tasting scones.  Maybe I just don't really like scones?  I don't know.  I think I've only had 2 in my whole life.  It could be the fact that I didn't use both types of flour in it, and only used all-purpose.  Could be the fact that I forgot to cut them till they were already cooking so they may have cooked unevenly?  I'm not sure, but I truthfully don't think it's a repeat in my book.  This won't stop me, however from trying more of Gina's recipes!  200 calories per scone though, still beats the high calorie count of chocolate chip cookies.  Does it beat the taste though?

Now I have 3/4 of a pint of buttermilk left.  Any ideas on what to do with it?  Come find me on Pinterest!!

1 comment:

  1. Maybe it's the "skinny" that made them less than mouth-watering? I do the cream scones out of Joy of Cooking, substituting candied ginger in for the raisins and lemon zest for the orange zest, and they are incredible.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make me happy